Thursday 23 February 2012

This Hell of Poverty

I wrote this poem for a class assignment in CDFM as a creative reflection on the struggle of economic development issues in the world. 

Impoverished, under trodden, forgotten
That’s life
Well at least that’s all I've ever known it to be

Neglected, abused, broken
I try
But no matter what I do, pain is all I see

I long for life, hope and freedom
An ability
To break free from this hell of poverty

Money, loans and debt unending
I’m drowning
In an endless abyss of agony

I can’t escape, no matter how hard I try
I’m caught
Trying to get a better life for my family

But I fall short every time, bills piling up
Unending
Stretching on for all eternity

Can it be? 
Is there hope of dignity?
Could I really 
Hold my head high, live a life of liberty?


Sarah Palser
22 February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment